Monday, August 19, 2013

Do You Talk to Social Workers? Poem


Do You Talk to Social Workers?

Do you talk to social workers?
Aren’t you scared someone will see?
Social Workers? Worker-Shirkers!
That’s what many folks tell me.

They’re a very low-down group,
On the social status chart.
To their level do not stoop;
You’ll avoid them if you’re smart.

I have seen them in the slums.
I have seen them helping bums.
I have seen them helping mothers.
They are always helping others!

Do not talk with folks of that kind,
With their odd priorities.
I’ve been told that they don’t mind
Helping the minorities!

I have seen them working late
Doing things that you would hate.
I have heard they think it’s great
That poor kids we educate,
That all persons should be fed,
And we all should have a bed,
And the bills should all be paid,
And no one should be afraid.

Do you talk to social workers?
If you do you soon will see
It will ruin your social standing,
In our fair community.

Stay away from Social workers.
You don’t know how bad they are.
They are known as real do-gooders.
They are known both wide and far.

Do you talk to Social workers?
Don’t you care what people say?
They’re a bunch of worker-shirkers
Who don’t even earn their pay.

If you talk to social workers,
You had better be advised,
If you talk to social workers,
You will soon be ostracized.
Watch out, my friend, or you will find,
That you’re catching peace of mind.

Then “you’ll” be seen out in the slums,
Helping miscreants and bums,
Off’ring help to unwed mothers,
Abused children and their brothers,
Even older folks and others.

And, when the question they do ask,
You will then be put to task,
But, with pride you’ll answer true:
“Yes, I talk to them! I do!”

by William Patrick Beaty, retired Social Worker



No comments:

Post a Comment